October 15, 2010

Casting Call



























When a friend in our ward, Becky Swasey, encouraged me to apply for a role in an upcoming New Testament video project for the Church, I was hesitant, especially given that all the acting talent in the family belongs to Jeni and the kids. If this had been a Church version of Chopped or Top Chef, I might have been more willing. But, Becky, who is one of the wardrobe designers for the Church Audio Visual Department, persisted and I finally gave in, confident that there was no way I would be cast for anything. To my surprise several weeks ago I got an e-mail inviting me down to the LDS Motion Picture Studio to take part in a Public Service Announcement the Church was doing for that New Testament project.

Above is a screenshot from the Church website explaining the project. You can also click here for a link to this page which contains the PSA video itself.

There are two videos on this page. If you click on the first, you'll see yours truly for a few seconds at the beginning. As I watch this now I am completely embarrassed. Is that really what I look like? Where did the double chin come from? Didn't I shave that day? Do I always slouch like that? And can I really call that a smile? Oh, the horror of this all. Where was the photoshop editor? So much for the miracles of modern technology! I hope nobody leaves the Church over this.