May 04, 2010

Goodness Defined



























I am continually amazed by Jeni and her rock solid perspective on life. She has always been able to find the lesson in the trial and the sunlight in the storm. Though I'm sure that some of her ability to take a step back and look at the bigger picture has been honed and refined through her health challenges, I have always known her to possess Charity. I strongly believe that her test in mortality (besides putting up with me) is to not lose that Charity. She already has it.

Some people may look at Jeni and her inability to do the things she would like to do or that they would like her to do and think that she's a failure. I know differently. In a great General Conference sermon in 2000 by Elder Oaks entitled "The Challenge to Become" he taught "that 'the Apostle Paul said that persons who have received the Spirit of God 'have the mind of Christ' (1 Cor. 2:16). I understand this to mean that persons who are proceeding toward the needed conversion are beginning to see things as our Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ, see them. They are hearing His voice instead of the voice of the world, and they are doing things in His way instead of by the ways of the world."

When the kids and I woke up this morning we were greeted by the note above. Wonderful wisdom from Jeni, and this after she was up most of the night, unable to sleep due to her health condition. Her night was anything but "good" and yet instead of thinking of herself and what she was going through, she focused on me and the kids and what would make a difference to us. This kind of selfless service has been Jeni's hallmark ever since I have known her. Thanks Jen for not only what you do, but more importantly for who you are.