August 13, 2009

Gravity

Not too often in my life have I heard a song that moves me to the very core. I'm sure it has something to do with the time period I'm going through in my life but I think more than anything it's a simple melody that does it. And for some reason for me these types of songs rarely have lyrics. Some examples of this include "Sketch in E Flat" by John Barlow Jarvis, "The Spirit World" by Kurt Bestor, "St. Jarna" by Depeche Mode, and "Out of Thin Air" by Howard Jones.

If you watched SYTYCD this season, you probably saw the dance set to "Gravity" by Sara Bareilles. Since that night, I have not been able to get that song out of my mind. I found a great performance of it by Sara herself on the piano and have attached it below. Thankfully, I found the sheet music this week and am in process of learning it. One of the fascinating things about this song is that it is written in the key of C, the key without any sharps or flats. I don't think I've ever heard a song so melodic and beautiful in that key before which to me adds to the greatness of it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I am.

video