July 16, 2009

Hancock Tower

















While in Chicago on business this week, I visited the Hancock Tower. It has the fastest elevator in North America, climbing nearly 100 stories in 40 seconds at 20 miles per hour. I now know how Charlie felt in the Great Glass Elevator, only ours didn't go sideways but it felt like it could have at any time. The building stands 1127 feet tall and has an observation deck a few floors from the top where I took these pictures from. At its pinnacle, the building is the fourth tallest in the world and second highest in North America (behind the Willis Tower, also in Chicago). My stomach got queasy a few times as I got too close to the glass and also while I was outside on the deck where you could feel the wind right on your face, but it was worth it. What a view!