April 23, 2009

Pins and Needles




















Six weeks ago today Jeni broke four bones in her right foot. Surgery two days later involved the placing of 3 pins and a screw into that foot and today she had the pins removed. It was shocking to see how long the pins were, especially the one you can see on the picture above that spanned almost the entire foot! It is amazing to me how the body can handle having such crazy foreign, metal objects in them. Who in the world would have ever come up with that idea? I can see the moment of enlightenment now:

George: Hey Bill - I'm so sorry about your foot. It looks three times the size of your other one! Who would have thought that kicking that rock with your bare foot would have done that? It looks painful and I'm sure something's broken inside of there. What should we do?

Bill: I've got it. Grab me 3 long metal skewers from the barbeque and shove 'em into my bones! Just make sure the skewers are really long. Then let's leave them there for 6 weeks. I'm sure that will do the trick.

George: Brilliant! Why didn't I think of that? And hey..... wait just a minute! Let's grab a giant metal screw from my toolbox and shove that in there too. I have no idea what it will do but it sounds really medical, it has to work!

Bill: Now you're talkin'.

Well, crazy or not, it did seem to have worked for Jeni who should be back on her feet in the next few weeks. Thanks Dr. Clegg!